By sharing data, agriculture can move into a new level.
We are now building an "Agricultural Data Collaboration Platform" for everyone involved in agriculture.
It provides useful data and facilitates data sharing.
This platform will help people engaged in agriculture improve their productivity and management.
In August 2017, we established "Agricultural Data Collaboration Platform Council",
to allow various interests to participate in the data platform.
This makes it available to participants from distribution to consumption,
as well as those at agriculture production sites.
The term WAGRI is a coined word combining WA (a Japanese word meaning “harmony”) and AGRI (agriculture).
Our purpose is to excite innovation in the field of agriculture.
WAGRI will function as a hub to link various data sources and services,
and promote greater harmony among members of the extended agricultural community. * The "Agricultural Data Collaboration Council" is being developed by the “Next-Generation Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries Creation Technology” through the Japanese Cabinet Office’s Strategic Innovation Creation Program (SIP).
Current state and issues
As Information Communication Technology (ICT) related to agriculture becomes more complex, ICT vendors and agricultural equipment manufacturers, including foreign and domestic companies, are developing a diverse array of systems.
Generally speaking, there is already a wide range of agricultural data available, such as environmental data, crop information, production planning, management, technical know-how, various kinds of statistics, etc. However, there is almost no collaboration among these systems. Each of them is operated independently.
We hope that by organizing the data and creating uniformity among formats we will help people utilize this vast array of data as a dynamic source of information.)
Increased possibilities for business expansion by employing WAGRI)
We have built a data platform to support agriculture that collects and organizes agriculture-related data previously scattered across various databases and websites.
This effort will make it possible to coordinate, share and provide organized data.
It is WAGRI’s mission to make it possible for people engaged in agriculture to gain access to all the important data available.)
Removing vendor and manufacturer barriers is an important step. This platform will then make it possible to make data links between various agricultural ICTs, agricultural machines and sensors possible.
We will establish rules for data-sharing, so you can provide services for comparing collections of data that contribute to improved productivity.
Various kinds of public data (such as soil information, weather, market conditions) and various commercial data from private companies will be acquired to provide useful information for WAGRI farmers. This will include commercial data, available for a fee.
There will be systems that provide data about the weather, land usage and cartographic information (including specialized data for a fee).
In addition to the publically available data, the structure includes a private database: the farmer and agricultural database, and a master database: defining large public and private systems. We use “Open ID Connect” for authentication.
Each vendor and manufacturer can acquire data and make use of it to provide new equipment and services to farmers.
- A variety of data is provided and maintained
- ・Resolves data distribution problems and also harmonizes many conflicting ICT formats that were previously hard to incorporate into one data system.
- ・At the agricultural data collaboration foundation, we will organize official data such as soil, market conditions, weather and so on as well as various other data (including commercial data) from private business, and provide everything in an easy-to-use form.
- ・Each vendor can utilize the data to develop new services that farmers need. Farmers can make strategic management decisions based on a wide variety of data.
- Improved yields and quality thanks to coordinated and analyzed data
- ・Previously it took a lot of time and effort to gather, manage, analyze and use the various types of available information. This system will allow comprehensive analysis by coordinating different systems and databases.
- ・It is possible to improve yield and quality by examining the factors that result in low yield and low quality and by taking appropriate countermeasures (such as adjusting the amount of fertilizer used).
- ・In addition, every year more data is accumulated, so even more advanced production management can be achieved.